Home invasion, shooting, in Billerica

UPDATE: The DA’s office just confirmed Quentin Koehler, 22, of Billerica, died of a gunshot wound to the head as a result of this home invasion. Click this link for a copy of the press release.

Sorry it took me 15 minutes to update here, but I had to update my print edition story first since I’m literally 10 minutes from deadline.

————————————-

I got an email from the DA’s office this morning informing me that a 22-year-old man was in critical condition after being shot during a home invasion in Billerica this morning.

I called into the office to make sure folks were aware, and they were right on top of things.

Below is the picture Jen Myers had already taken of the home 795 Boston Road where the home invasion and shooting occurred.

Here is a link to the story Jen and one of my managing editors, Tom Zuppa, had already put together.

The DA’s office is handling the press on this case, and they haven’t released much else except to say this does not appear to be a random attack, and that the victim was taken to Lahey Clinic.

Here is the interesting thing Tom and Jen dug up. They report:

“One resident told The Sun there is “always trouble” at that address.

The Boston Road address was connected to a February 2011 home invasion. Four men — Chad Leclair, Ryan Koehler, Cory Barry and Sean Larson — were part of a plot to rob an Oak Street resident of drugs and money. The target’s father answered the door, and he was shot twice, according to police.

Leclair gave police an address of 795 Boston Road when he was arrested.

The home is owned by Nancy Koehler, according to the Middlesex North Registry of Deeds.”

I went to the scene of that home invasion and shooting on Feb. 20 of last year. I froze my butt off, but didn’t get all the details that night.

Later last year, Ryan Koehler was sentenced to 10 to 12 years in state prison for his role in the incident. On December 6, 2011, when he was sentenced, he was 22 years old. It’s not clear whether he has had a birthday since.

What is clear is that Koehler is the only one of the four defendants who is not yet in prison.

When he was sentenced by Judge Paul Chernoff in Lowell Superior Court, Chernoff stayed the sentence until after Koehler completed a substance abuse program. Here is a press release containing that information. The bold was added by me so the relevant information is easy to find.

Stephanie Guyette, a spokeswoman for the DA, told me this afternoon that she can’t say how common such stays are, but the DA’s office did not oppose the stay. Diane Wiffin, spokeswoman for the Department of Correction, confirmed for me this evening that Koehler is not in custody.

According to Vinelink.com, a website that offers information on prisoners currently in custody, Larson is at MCI-Concord; Barry is at MCI-Norfolk; and Leclair is at the North Central Correctional Institution in Gardner.

The DA’s office isn’t commenting on whether Koehler is involved in this incident.

But, that’s not the only twist.

A spokesman for Lahey Clinic in Burlington, where the 22-year-old victim was taken, said the hospital has no records of Ryan Koehler being treated there, so unless he invoked his rights under HIPPA it appears he was not the victim.

The home at 795 Boston Road was also the listed address of Quentin Koehler when Quentin Koehler was arrested for a house break in 2008. At that time, Quentin Koehler was 18 years old, which would make him about 22 now.

A Lahey Clinic spokesman tells me Quentin Koehler was at the hospital today, but he is deceased.

As of five minutes ago, the DA’s office is unable to confirm whether anyone named Koehler was involved in this incident, and there is no update on the condition of the victim, who was in critical condition last time the DA’s office released a statement.

Just so you know, WBZ and WCVB and The Globe are reporting the victim in this incident has died, but I am not. I cannot confirm that Quentin Koehler is the victim of the shooting. I can only confirm that he is dead.

I’m not sure if these other outlets confirmed Koehler was the victim via some other source, but neither the hospital nor the DA would confirm that for me. Call me old fashioned, but I’m waiting for confirmation.

I hope all this information isn’t annoying and overwhelming. I suppose I’m providing a bit of a view into how the sausage of a news story is made. I am not prepared to report something as fact without confirmation, though. The facts as I currently have them are presented above.

Advertisements

2 responses to “Home invasion, shooting, in Billerica

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s